endless loop technique
This techniques is for making a strand of beads that does not have a clasp or other terminating hardware. The strand must be long enough to fit over one's head without binding, which means that it should only be used for making strands that are 26 inches or longer.
- Lay out your design of beads - measure length.
- Measure beading thread - x2 length of beads plus 10 inches.
- Attach beading needle and leader thread through beading thread and close the beading thread loop with an overhand knot. Make sure that the leader thread knot is in the middle of the leader thread loop.
- Thread all beads. Move them towards the knotted end - without twists or kinks.
- Remove the needle by CUTTING THE BEADING THREAD AT THE END OF THE LOOP - PRESERVE THE BEADING NEEDLE THREAD LOOP.
- Knot the end of the beading thread where you just cut (with and overhand knot) and hang the piece over night to stretch.
- When you are ready to finish the piece, cut away both end knots.
- Center beads on the beading thread and bring the ends of the strand near each other.
- At one end of the strand pull the end bead away from the neighboring bead a couple of inches. Pull one of the threads back through the end bead so that that end bead has only a single thread running through it.
- ON THE OTHER END OF THE STRAND FROM THE SIDE YOU JUST PULLED: Place one of the beading thread ends through the leader thread of a beading needle.
- Use the needle to slip the beading thread through the bead with the single thread running through it. You will now have 2 sets of beads meeting head-to-head on opposite sides of a central separating bead.
- Pull on the threads to bring the bead strand together snugly.
- On the 2 sets of head-on threads, cut one thread shorter than the other. This provides a reference for making the finishing square knot. Tie x3 half-hitch knots while flipping the piece over between each knot - USE SHORT OVER LONG EACH TIME. You have now locked the knots.
- Glue the knots with (a small drop) of jewellers cement. Flip over and do the other side. Let dry. Trim thread.
- If the strand is too tight, manipulate a little to loosen.
[ Return To Tutorials Home Page ]